Many men though are only just starting to think of getting themselves a bag of their own, so how do they know what to look for in a bag? How can they find a bag that is both masculine and practical?
Here are some tips to help you find a bag that will work for you without anyone mistaking it for a ladies handbag!
- Choose a simple structured style. Look for clean straight lines and avoid curvy shapes and gathered materials.
- A traditionally male bag style, like a messenger bag, or a fishing bag, is the easiest style to make the transition into carrying a bag. Stylish without being too cutting edge, they are functional and practical.
- A messenger bag should be of a reasonable size, preferably big enough to carry a laptop, so it doesn’t look too girly.
- Get a bag with loads of pockets designed to take all your technological wizardry: with a pocket for your laptop, one for your Blackberry, another for a flash drive, keys and wallet, your bag will feel more functional and less strange. It’s far easier for men to accept a bag with a distinct function, hence laptop bags and camera bags.
- Avoid all patterns, designer logos and bright colors until you get used to the idea of a bag. Starting off with classic black or brown is always a safe bet.
- Choose a good quality leather, which will wear well. Nylon bags and backpacks are not at all stylish and shouldn’t be combined with work or formal wear. Canvas is a good option for casual use.
- The way you carry your bag is important. A long strapped messenger bag can be slung nonchalantly across the body, with the bag turned to your back, for an informal look. A weightier shoulder bag containing a lap-top can just hang from your shoulder at hip height, don’t make the strap too short though. Carry a tote bag or carryall firmly gripped in your hand, as if it were a briefcase, avoiding the feminine trick of carrying it in the crook of your arm at all costs!
- If it makes you feel better carry a small tool set, or something else that has a masculine feel, in your bag!
The fashion for men’s bags is not going to disappear, now men have discovered how useful they really are, so if you don’t want to get left behind and look old-fashioned and fuddy-duddy, it’s about time you found a bag style that you’re comfortable with!