Working by hand
- Begin by making a tie on the edge to secure the thread and then work the first row by making running stitches which are 6 millimeters above the fitting line. Ensure this is maintained throughout the width on the area to be gathered.
- Leave the thread hanging at the end of the fabric on the row of the running stitches. Work the second row of running stitches 6 millimeters below the fitting line and leave the thread hanging at the end.
- Pull both thread ends together to draw up the fabric until the required size is achieved.
- Wind the hanging threads round a pin forming a figure 8 to secure the pattern.
- Prepare it in readiness for attachment to the garment.
Working by machine
The process is almost the same as when working by hand but the difference is that it’s now done by a machine. First, start by adjusting the machine stitches to the longest stitch length available and then start sewing in the same procedure as that of working by hand.
Gathers bring out that stylish look on clothes, this so because when they are used in sleeves of blouses it brings out boldness as a character in the person that is wearing it. Therefore, with that boldness in definition of character one should feel confident and comfortable in using clothes made of this pattern. This design being used on clothes also brings out the good look on other fabrics as well. Some of those that have this pattern on them include; handbags, curtains, beddings and also tablecloths.